e know this is long, so right off the bat here’s the main points:
- While FARM 21 would change the basic structure of farm programs, it does little in the way of making sure that farm program benefits flow to small and mid-size family farms (jump to more about this);
- FARM 21 does not close the loopholes used to avoid farm program payment limits (jump to more about this);
- FARM 21 shifts large amounts of money to conservation programs- a laudable goal- but invests most of that money into the Environmental Quality Incentives Program, which subsidizes enormous manure lagoons and the concentration of livestock production (jump to more about this);
- FARM 21 places much-needed resources behind some rural economic development programs, but others receive inadequate amounts (jump to more about this);
- FARM 21 does not include any crucial livestock market competition reforms;
- Despite our criticisms, every farm bill proposal should receive equal consideration (jump to more about this).