Wednesday, April 30, 2008

UI Extension Cuts Begin

Thanks to the leadership provided by Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, the University of Illinois Extension has begun the process of laying off more than 450 positions. This is due to the fact that the state did not hold up their commitment to providing matching funds that are also provided by local counties for the Extension positions:

While hundreds of her University of Illinois Cooperative Extension colleagues are already without work because of budget cuts, Decatur horticulture expert Jennifer Nelson still has a job.

For now.

“If I lose my job, I’ll lose a job I love, and very few people can really say that and mean it,” Nelson said. “I am angry and upset that what’s happening politically is affecting my personal career choices and my personal passion.”

No comments: