Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama picks Biden for VP


Barak Obama has chosen Delaware Senator Joe Biden as his pick for Vice Presidential nominee. Biden has been a Senator for 35 years. Here are some of his thoughts on agriculture from his Senate website:

The Farm Bill
Senator Biden supported the Farm Bill and believes that it is a responsible compromise.

Opening Domestic and Foreign Markets to Delaware Products
Senator Biden is one of the Senate’s leading proponents of the idea that the future of American agriculture lies in exports. In 2000, he voted to give Delaware’s farmers unprecedented access to China’s market of 1.2 billion consumers for U.S. farm products and services.

Supporting Agricultural Research and Education
In an effort to improve our lead in agricultural productivity and efficiency, research investment is necessary so that U.S. producers can continue to serve a global marketplace and meet the demands of a growing world population.

Funding the Farmland Protection Program
Senator Biden has been a long-time advocate of funding for the Farmland Protection Program. Under this system, landowners are encouraged to voluntarily convey the development rights of their land to the state while retaining the right to use the property for agriculture.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Sorry to be a bit off topic here but I was wondering if you might be interested in blogging about Farm Blogs From Around the World.

The reason I am writing to you from deepest France is because I run a blog (completely and entirely non-commercial) found at www.farmblogs.blogspot.com

At Farm Blogs I am trying to gather in one place the very best of global blogging about farms, farming and rural life.

You can find the blog roll, sorted by country (and a General Interest section).

My posts are made up of the blog recommendations from farm bloggers and I also post regular stories about world farming.

All blogs have been recommended to me by other bloggers or identified by me during my occassional browsing.

I have a pretty broad definition of farming - if you're producing food, you're a farmer, to my mind at least.

So blogs range from ranches to part-time smallholders, and resources for them.

Once recommended, I add them to the blogroll and then contact the bloggers (just as I am contacting you), asking them to send me a few words about their farm/small-holding and their blog and, critically, to recommend their favourite farm/farming blogs.

And so it goes and grows.

If you can add a link on your blog, if that's possible, to www.farmblogs.blogspot.com; and if you can find a moment even make a posting about www.farmblogs.blogspot.com and how this blog is growing organically accross the world from other farming bloggers that would be great.

I'd also love to hear your recommendations on the best five farm blogs you know. (I am not talking about commercially run operations here, simply farm/rural bloggers).


Very much hoping to hear from you,

With kind regards,

Ian


www.farmblogs.blogspot.com
www.aplaceintheauvergne.blogspot.com
www.ianwalthew.com

P.S. I'll certainly post about you, and add you to my blog roll under General Resources (providing you are a NOT FOR PROFIT BLOG).